Backflow Testing & Maintenance
Backflow prevention methods are an extremely important part of the plumbing process. It is a way to protect both business owners and the general community from contaminants that may infiltrate their water supply and cause ill effects if not worse. Backflow testing is required annually to ensure that your backflow prevention device is in working order.
What is Backflow?
For those unfamiliar with this term, backflow is when unwanted, non-potable water enters the drinkable water supply. The result is polluted water that can harm your internal and external health in a number of ways, including gastrointestinal issues, disease, decreased immune system, and symptoms associated with such.
What Causes It?
Backflow often occurs when pipes freeze and burst, pipes get backed up, or when water demand is high and water flow diminishes, requiring it to be sourced from less than ideal environments. The polluted water that comes as a result of backflow typically contains chemicals from fertilisers, pharmaceuticals, or other potentially poisonous or toxic substances.
What Can You Do?
As detrimental as water backflow can seem, there is good news. When you employ proper backflow testing and maintenance methods, you can prevent problems in your commercial plumbing system before they start. O’Shea offers affordable backflow services to test your risk and find you effective solutions if a problem has occurred. It is recommended that one regularly gets their plumbing analysed for risk of backflow– especially if you own a property that is regularly serving customers or being utilised by staff. If you have never had your risk assessed, we urge you to do so immediately.
Our Backflow Testing & Maintenance Process
- The first thing we do when we visit your commercial property is to identify what level of risk your plumbing is currently at. If you have a water supply connection at your business, your risk will be greater. It will either be deemed Low Risk (you may have back flowing water but it will not cause health concerns), Medium Risk (water backflow may endanger health) or High Risk (water backflow will endanger health greatly and may even cause death).
- It goes without saying that Medium and High-Risk situations should be treated with a matter of urgency. Businesses that fall within either of these categories require a backflow prevention device, which must be maintained consistently and checked every 12 months at least to ensure the safety of patrons and employees.
- After we determine your general risk, we will do a more in-depth assessment to figure out which type of backflow prevention device is best for your commercial property. The type of valves used for your water connection and the pressure level within your property are key indicators in which device is ideal.
- Once a device is chosen, it will be installed beside your water metre. It is crucial to hire a professional and knowledgeable plumber such as someone from the O’Shea team to make sure that your device is installed correctly. Most importantly, there should be no connections between your water metre and backflow prevention device.
- Every 12 months or more frequently if you choose, a trusted member of the O’Shea Plumbing crew will visit your business to test that the backflow prevention device is functioning as it should. We will make sure that there are no leaks present, contaminants getting into the water or water pressure concerns.
- If your backflow tester is damaged, dated or not working properly, we can repair or replace your device quickly and for a low rate.
Stay Informed with O’Shea Plumbing
Ignorance is not always bliss– especially not when health is involved. Remain on top of any water safety problems before they escalate by utilising the services, experience and resources of O’Shea Plumbing. Our prices are affordable, our staff are reliable and our service is efficient – call our team for backflow prevention testing costs. That is why we are one of Melbourne’s best commercial plumbing services. Keep your water safe and free from contaminants with our backflow testing and maintenance services.
Book a quote online!
Fast. Reliable. Trusted.