Xuan, a Doncaster resident, had bought a house that he was currently renovating before he and his family moved in. Since no one had been living there for several months, he found it concerning that his gas bill showed some usage on it. An unusually high gas bill can often be a sign of a gas leak. Xuan rang O’Shea Plumbing to send out a plumber to check for any potential gas leaks.
O’Shea Plumber Jeremy arrived later the same day and began by having an initial look around the property. Jeremy found that most of the gas pipework under the house was made of galvanized steel, which can develop small leaks over time. Upon inspection of the gas meter, Jeremy found that the gas piping to the meter had been improperly run, and that the outlet bend was cut too short. This caused the meter to sit at an odd angle, which could be the cause of the gas leak.
Jeremy proposed to Xuan to alter the pipework at the meter, replace the outlet bend, and perform a gas pressure test to make sure the rest of the pipework in the house was sound. Xuan agreed that this was the best approach to finding and eliminating any gas leaks. As he was renovating for his family to move in, he wanted the home to be as safe as possible. Jeremy wrote up a quote for the client.
With Xuan’s approval, Jeremy altered the pipework at the meter to allow the meter to connect to the house’s gas line properly. Jeremy then tested the gas line at 1.2kpa finding no drop in pressure, indicating that the rest of the gas line was sound. Jeremy reconnected the gas meter and recommended to Xuan to leave the meter turned off while no one was living at the property just as a precaution. Xuan was very pleased with the prompt service and expertise of Jeremy and O’Shea Plumbing.
Whether you’re at home or work, if you smell a gas leak in Melbourne it’s urgent that you take action immediately. Gas leaks are highly flammable and pose a serious risk, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Call the Doncaster Gas Leak plumbing professionals at O’Shea Plumbing immediately. Curious how we solve gas leaks? Read our blog about it!