How to Maintain Your Hot Water System
Published in Hot Water, 18th Sep 2014
Regardless of the type of water heating systems that you own, it is important to have it inspected and cleaned by an expert at least twice a year. Since this is a machine like any other, its parts are bound to malfunction if they are not taken care of. Regular maintenance checks and repairs will ensure that the unit keeps running for many years to come and operates with the fewest issues possible.
Maintaining Hot Water System
Much as many people might think that having the hot water system cleaned on a yearly basis might be costly, it will actually save you lots of money in the long run. A dirty boiler causes power consumption to go up thereby increasing your monthly power bills significantly. Additionally, when one gets an expert to check on their heating system on a regular basis, it is possible to find small repairs that ought to be done before they can transform into large problems that might seriously compromise the operations of the entire system.
Why is the need for hot water system maintenance vital?
The need for hot water services is of great essence in the modern day. These systems require some bit of maintenance like venting radiators and drainage of the boiler just to make sure that everything is working as desired. In order to properly maintain your hot water system in Melbourne and other parts of Australia, it is vital to lubricate the motor of your system’s circulating pump regularly. In maintaining this system, you will be able to get the best out if its use in the long run.
How to go about this maintenance process
There are many options, which you can go for whenever you want to properly maintain your hot water heating system. Here are directions that will help you.
- First of all, you need to open all valves and radiators and any convectors in order to let air out. Excess air in these passages might be the reason why it is not working as desired.
- Secondly, you can close the valve. Just make sure you drain the boiler so as to get rid of mineral deposits and rust. The manual from the product manufacturer will help you to understand how to do this.
- Thirdly, turn off the water and power. Instead of using old cast-iron radiators, modern units have free-standing or rather baseboard convectors. These ones are less bulky, more efficient and even look nicer than the previous types.
- Fourth, to drain any unwanted mineral deposits and water, stick one end of the garden-hose into the boiler drain cock.
- Fifth, you can open the vent valves on the radiator that is located on the topmost floor of your house. This allows water to flow back into the system and do so in an effective manner.
- Six, turn on the supply and then flush through the system. This helps to clean out any sort of debris from the system and the pipes.
- Last but not least, when the supply stops, you can close the drain cock and the vents. At this end, the hot water system is clean and good to use again.
If you have a hot water system in Melbourne, it is important to have it inspected on a regular basis in order to make sure it is working as desired. The experts at O’shea Plumbing will most definitely offer you the high quality services that you desire. We have the skills and competence to do a good job in this regard.