Professional inspections can prevent carbon monoxide and gas leaks

Nicholas Banfield, a 23 year old sailor from Tasmania unfortunately passed away a few years ago from carbon monoxide poisoning. He was an experienced sailor, and had grown up on the water, his father said. Nicholas had taken his girlfriend, also 23, out on his yacht on Sydney Harbour on a Friday night, the ABC reported. After his girlfriend called her parents two days later in a state of confusion, police began a search of the area. They were eventually found, and the woman was taken to hospital in a serious condition. It was unfortunately too late for Nicholas Banfield, who was found dead on the yacht.

 

Coroners call for mandatory carbon monoxide alarms

When the police found the boat, the gas stove was switched on, which lead police to believe it was carbon monoxide poisoning, which was later confirmed by tests. Carbon monoxide, unlike gas, does not have a smell. So you cannot see or smell it, making it a silent but deadly killer. Most boat engines emit carbon monoxide, as well as some cooking appliances and home and commercial heaters. The threat of carbon monoxide poisoning in an industrial setting is taken very seriously and procedures are put in place, but what most people will not know is that carbon monoxide poisoning can also happen in the home. The coroner who examined Nicholas Banfield’s body, has asked for urgent consideration of mandatory carbon monoxide alarms. He showed ABC a carbon monoxide alarm worth $50 that could have saved the life of Nicholas Banfield and many others.

 

Fully licensed plumbers inspect and repair gas heaters

Malfunctioning gas heaters within the home have the potential to be very dangerous for your family. O’Shea Plumbing can provide you with an inspection and repair of your gas heater  seven days a week. There are a few signs you can look out for that will tell you your gas heater may need repairing:

  • Unusual noises coming from the gas heating unit
  • A yellow gas flame instead of a blue flame

If you notice any of the above signs, or have any suspicion that your heater may be malfunctioning, it is important to turn off the unit immediately, have it inspected right away. An inspection from highly experienced, fully licensed plumber will provide your home with better safety than a carbon monoxide alarms, some of which can be unreliable or can miss signs of carbon monoxide leaks. If, after the inspection, the unit is found to be broken, O’Shea Plumbing can repair the unit onsite.

 

Gas leak detection

Gas leaks can be highly dangerous both within the home and business, and must be taken extremely seriously if one is suspected. Gas leaks can be a health risk to those who work or live in a building, as well as a danger to the building itself. A gas leak in the home or otherwise is flammable, so poses an immediate threat to the safety of the area. If a gas leak comes into contact with flame or spark, it can cause a fire or explosion. If you notice any of the following signs, you might have a gas leak issue:

  • The smell of gas
  • Higher gas bills than usual
  • Your gas cooktop won’t light
  • The heating isn’t working

If you have noticed any of the above, contact a O’Shea Plumbing on (03) 9888 2887 today for a fast quote. O’Shea Plumbing offers expertly trained professional plumbers who are highly experienced in gas leak detection. It is also recommended to have older gas appliances serviced by a professional, as they can be the cause of gas leaks.

 

Gas heater installations

Gas heater installations should only ever be handled by a professional, licenced plumber. As should any issue pertaining to gas heating units, including leak detection, inspection, and repair. If someone other than a licenced professional handles the installation or service of a gas unit, the results can be dangerous, and even life threatening. O’Shea Plumbing have a team of fully licenced and highly experienced professionals who are trained to expertly install gas heater units safely. The team at O’Shea Plumbing can also install hot water units, cookers, and even gas lighting. O’Shea Plumbing offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all their services, ensuring you are getting the best in the business every time.

 

If you have any concerns about potential gas or carbon monoxide leaks, call O’Shea Plumbing on (03) 9888 2887 for a free quote. O’Shea Plumbing offer 7 day servicing in Melbourne.

Back to Blog
<
>