Published in Case Studies, 22nd Dec 2021
O’Shea assist a client with a gas leak on their Brighton East property Nicki from Brighton East woke up Saturday morning and went outside to enjoy her morning coffee. As Nicki was sitting outside she noticed the smell of gas and was concerned about it. She immediately shut the isolation valve off at the gas meter and went about finding a plumber. Nicki found the O’Shea Plumbing phone number. After reading some reviews and noticing that a plumber could come out that day, she contacted our staffed office and organised a plumber to attend her property. Andrew (an O’Shea Plumber) was on-call this weekend and left his home straight away. Within 45 minutes Andrew arrived and had a chat with Nicki about the issue she was experiencing. Together they came up with a plan and Andrew got a quote written up which was quickly accepted. Andrew started by pressure testing the entire gas line on the property to confirm that there was in fact a gas leak. From here Andrew went to each gas fixture and isolated them one at a time, completing a gas test between turning off each fixture. This allowed Andrew to help identify if the gas leak was occurring at a particular fixture or if there was a leak occurring on the gas line before the fixtures. After isolating and testing the hot water unit (HWU), ducted heater and gas stove, Andrew found that the pressure held in the main gas line and determined that the gas leak was in fact on the gas stove. Andrew notified the client of the issue and then turned the HWU back on and attempted to re-light the ducted heater, however, the ducted heater would not stay lit. After a few minutes of examining the ducted heater, Andrew found that the gas pipe had been undersized. Further conversations with Nicki found that the unit was installed less than one year ago and that it had not been working properly (switching on and off) since it was put in. Andrew offered to rectify this issue as well as the leak on the gas stove, but Nicki declined the offer stating that she would get the company who installed the ducted heater to come back and fix their mistake (a very reasonable request). Nicki also said that she did not utilise the stove often so said she would also leave the stove isolated and not use the stove. From the initial call, Andrew had been out and stopped the gas leak within two hours. O’Shea Plumbing has a plumber on-call every weekend and long weekend throughout the year, meaning that any emergency can be dealt with, with minimal fuss and waiting. Call the plumber Melbourne locals can rely on for a fixed price quote today – (03) 9888 2887 03 9888 2887CALL FOR A FAST QUOTE WE’LL COME RUNNING03 9888 2887CALL FOR A FAST QUOTE WE’LL COME RUNNING NO surcharge for weekends + NO CALL OUT FEES for jobs that proceed 7 days a week, no surcharge for weekends (excluding Public Holidays)
Published in Gas Plumbing, 3rd Oct 2014
Electricity is arguably the biggest source of power in the home. However, gas is becoming an increasingly popular choice when energizing common indoor and outdoor appliances. Gas is efficient, reliable, environmentally friendly, and above all very pocket friendly. Indeed, natural gas is considered the cleanest natural fuel emitting 45% less carbon than coal and at least 27% less carbon than oil. Gas is also said to be much cheaper than electricity; according to the U.S. Department of Energy, natural gas is 68% cheaper than electricity per British thermal unit (Btu). Gas Safety Plumbing In Melbourne Of course the initial costs for gas are higher compared to electricity for example, but in the long run the former has proved to be the more cost-effective of the two options. Safety tips for gas plumbing As already mentioned, gas plumbing is a little more demanding compared to electricity installation. And when compared to other plumbing projects such as installation of the water system, gas plumbing is also far more complicated. Gas is inflammable so it must be handled with great care. Even the pipes used must be of the highest quality possible. Listed below are safety tips for gas plumbing. Protect your eyes Gas is very poisonous so it’s advisable to protect your eyes when working. Always wear safety glasses even when you’re just checking the pressure. The risk of small objects falling into your eyes increases when you have to look up in order to attend to the pipes. Apart from that, gas under pressure or flying objects can easily enter your eyes if you don’t have protective glasses on. Be informed Before you start on the project, revisit the building and plumbing codes of the locality to inform yourself on practices that are acceptable and what is not acceptable. See what the laws allow and what is not allowed and ensure to get a permit for practices that require so. It may also help to inform yourself about projects that you can do on your own and those that can only be done by professionals. Protecting your lungs One way of protecting your lungs is to wear a face mask which protects you from inhaling harmful gases. A disposable gas should be used when the project involves sanding and sawing. Protecting your hands Your hands will be coming into contact with different materials and chemicals so it’s important to protect them as well. Wearing gloves should help. Read labels carefully Carefully check all the chemicals and materials you’ll be using, read labels carefully, and follow instructions to the letter. If there are any recommendations, ensure to follow them as well. Be cautious Gas is very dangerous so even the greatest experts need to be cautious with it. You should also be cautions with power tools; if and when you’re required to have two hands on a power tool, ensure to do just that. Be extra careful with soldiering and heating pipes particularly in walls and insulated areas. Never ignore the smell of gas If you smell gas, or suspect that there is a gas leak, stop whatever you’re doing immediately. If you can turn off the gas, do so right away then call the gas company. Never try to establish the cause of the leak on your own. Summary Following these tips doesn’t guarantee complete safety but at least you’ll be doing all you can to protect yourself and the home.